The MITRE Corporation Senior Network Engineer - 29790BR in McLean, Virginia
Senior Network Engineer - 29790BR
Why choose between doing meaningful work and having a fulfilling life? At MITRE, you can have both. That's because MITRE people are committed to tackling our nation's toughest challenges—and we're committed to the long-term well-being of our employees. MITRE is different from most technology companies. We are a not-for-profit corporation chartered to work for the public interest, with no commercial conflicts to influence what we do. The R&D centers we operate for the government create lasting impact in fields as diverse as cybersecurity, healthcare, aviation, defense, and enterprise transformation. We're making a difference every day—working for a safer, healthier, and more secure nation and world. Our workplace reflects our values. We offer competitive benefits, exceptional professional development opportunities, and a culture of innovation that embraces diversity, inclusion, flexibility, collaboration, and career growth. If this sounds like the choice you want to make, then choose MITRE—and make a difference with us.
Do you have experience in network design? Do you have a background in deploying MPLS at the enterprise level? Do you have advanced routing & switching knowledge, as well as familiarity with network security appliances? Do you understand scalability, network automation, and the importance of data-driven decisions?
MITRE's Network Engineering team is currently seeking a Senior Network Engineer. This is a great opportunity to work in a team environment where you will be part of the engineering group that supports both our corporate enterprise infrastructure and enables sponsor-facing projects.
- Provide engineering, administration, and monitoring support for multiple network environments within MITRE.
- Troubleshoot complex network problems including; routing and switching, protocol problems, and WAN/LAN failures.
- Knowledge of design/deployment/sustainment of the following protocols/technologies in an enterprise production environment:
Routing protocols, such as (OSPF, EIGRP, BGP, IS-IS)
Spanning Tree Protocol
- Effective as lead engineer for high-visibility projects
- Assist in development and implementation of network infrastructure to include the following:
Design and test plans
Implementation plan and operational models
- Develop effective technical and support documentation for use by engineering and operations staff
- Maximize network performance by monitoring performance, troubleshooting network problems and outages, scheduling upgrades.
- Support/maintain an Enterprise VoIP environment.
- Must be available for some evening and weekend work at peak times and able to participate in a 7x24 on-call rotation.
- Must be able to work in and around data closets, racks, and be able to lift 40lbs
- Knowledge of network monitoring tools such as Splunk, Cisco Prime, Netbrain etc.
- Understanding of DNS & DHCP protocols and functions
- Experience turning requirements into comprehensive network design and implementation plans in a multi-site service-based environment.
- Experience evaluating the performance of communications networks.
- Strong understanding of the OSI stack with
- Advanced knowledge and experience in network design and implementation for an enterprise environment
- Experience with continuous delivery of applications and services
- Experience with delivering infrastructure through industry best practices of automation and controlled by a configuration management framework.
- ITIL Framework familiarity
BS and 3 years related experience.
Job SW Eng, Comp Sci & Mathematics
Primary Location United States-Virginia-McLean
Other Locations United States-Massachusetts-Bedford
This requisition requires a clearance of Secret
Travel Yes, 10 % of the Time
Job Posting Mar 13, 2018, 12:51:34 PM
Req ID: 29790BR